We're looking for a Safety Officer to join our Safety & Security team at Wimbledon.
What you will be doing
- Operate as ‘Safety Officer’ at The Championships which includes overall control of safety management in collaboration with other stakeholders present in the Operations Centre which includes:
o Representation of AELTC departments and staff, including Venue Operations, Estate Management and Security.
o The Safety Advisory Group and Local Authorities, Metropolitan Police, London Fire Brigade, London Ambulance Service, Community etc.
o Stewarding and Security Groups
o Championship's contractors
Support the Head of Safety and Security by having a complete understanding of the Event Safety Operations Manual in accordance with the Guide to Safety at Sports Grounds (Sixth Edition) and the Supplementary Guidance 03: Event Safety Management in in place.
As ‘Safety Officer’, ensure the Terms and Conditions contained in the Safety Certificate are met to ensure reasonable safety of spectators and compliance with the Grounds regulations.
You will be responsible for making any event safety-related decisions on event days according to the Communication, Control and Command structure of The Championships.
Liaise with the Head of Safety and Security whose responsibility it is to prepare and plan the necessary documentation for compliance and operational requirements. This will include the Operations Manual, Contingency Plan, Medical Plan and Event Management Plan.
Assume responsibility for updating and maintaining internal records and reports as required.
Ensure that key groups are well briefed in advance of The Championships in relation to matters of Safety and General Contingency procedures. This includes Stewarding, Security, Guest Services staff and all Contractor groups.
Assist the other Safety Officers in collaboration with Estate Management, to ensure that all life safety systems are checked daily during each day of The Championships in conjunction with the nominated Safety Officers of the day.
Assume responsibility for maintaining a contemporaneous and auditable log of all events, incidents and decisions using Mission Control in the Operations Centre.
Support with any organised evacuation exercises, contingency, and emergency drills as necessary.
Attend and take part in The Championships readiness programme such as the annual tabletop exercise.
In a capacity as ‘Safety Officer’ support the build-up events prior to The Championships such as the Qualifying Competition at Roehampton and any other events and / or venues as required.
You will be required to be available for the three weeks across the Qualifying Competition which immediately precedes the Championships and the Championships fortnight itself.
The role will require a flexible approach to hours and weekends preceding and during The Championships.
What we are looking for
- Attained NVQ Level 4, or equivalent, in Spectator Safety Management.
- Previous experience in a similar leadership role.
- Evidence of the ability to work with internal and external stakeholders to provide safe outcomes and great guest experience.
- Evidence of a continual professional development in the event safety environment, including attendance at conferences and qualifications in Public Safety or Health and Safety.
- Strong written and verbal communications skills.
- Strong planning and organising skills.
- Significant safety officer experience with major events.
- You must be able to work all 14 days of The Championships, with some flexibility in the rare case of additional days due to rain delays
- The All England Lawn Tennis Club (Championships) Limited (AELTC) organises and stages The Wimbledon Lawn Tennis Championships, widely regarded as the world’s premier tennis tournament and are home to one of the world’s most prestigious tennis clubs.
- Our business has grown in recent years, and we expect that success to continue. We have plans to further improve our facilities and invest in our people in future years. Our success is important to us and we are guided by our key values of Heritage, Integrity, Respect and Excellence.
- Our Operations team is responsible for coordinating and integrating our functional areas to facilitate the delivery of The Championships across all our six venues - The Grounds, Indoor Tennis Centre on Somerset Road, the Community Tennis Centre at Raynes Park, Community Sports Ground at Roehampton, the Wimbledon Park Project and our partnership with The Wimbledon Club.