What you will be doing
- The Technical Manager will be responsible for the efficient and effective technical delivery of all Broadcast elements of The Championships run by Wimbledon Broadcast Services (WBS). Fully embedded inhouse at the AELTC, and part of the wider Marketing & Commercial division, WBS sets itself as world leading in host broadcast production.
- The role must explore and interrogate the technical landscape to identify best working practices with the aim of efficiently utilising the Broadcast Centre for all operations, both for the AELTC’s rights holders and WBS production.
- Proactively communicate latest technologies and future industry trends to inform and steer the organisation on key developments in live broadcasting.
- Oversee an evolving and complex broadcast infrastructure across the site, often within a limited time frame and requiring sensitive aesthetical considerations e.g., Wire-Cam on the Golf Course, overlay within the Clubhouse and the development of the permanent cable strategy.
- Work with the Broadcast Manager to procure and manage technical suppliers (including any tender process) ensuring timely delivery, value for money and compliance with AELTC policies, such as health & safety.
- Responsible for applying risk management to delivery timelines through constant evaluation of priorities and dependencies, monitoring of progress and ensuring resource alignment.
- Be the point of contact for TV Broadcast partners, corresponding with rights holders throughout the planning phase on their technical delivery, health & safety and general technical requests for on- and off-site operations.
- Work with the wider Broadcast team communicating unilateral requirements to technical providers and all internally invested stakeholders, such as Technology for comms & internet facilities for host & unilateral bookings.
- Year-round responsibilities will include providing technical expertise on projects across the site, integrating broadcast requirements into the wider AELTC masterplan which includes the expansion of the Grounds following the acquisition of the Golf Course.
- Work closely with other departments including Technology, Venue Operations, Media and Estate Management to establish best ways of working and ensure cohesive objectives are met, as well as represent the Broadcast and Commercial team on major Estate developments.
- Act in an advisory capacity for other areas of the business, where broadcast or technical expertise may be required.
- Represent the Club at appropriate broadcast conferences and industry events.
What part your role will play in The Championships
This includes but is not limited to:
- Bringing to fruition the year-round planning & coordination with all WBS technical & production suppliers for WBS host broadcast, communicating ever-changing requirements for host & unilateral broadcasters.
- Managing the rig and de-rig of the broadcast overlay, including unilateral broadcaster technical suppliers, feeding all necessary information to Venue and Estate Operations departments using the Club’s project management tools,
- Controlling on and off-site international distribution of all 18 televised courts and supplementary feeds.
- Troubleshooting requests and problems that are an inevitable part of hosting a world class, international, sporting event.
- Significant experience and proven track record of leading technical broadcast teams at major sporting or other events.
- Manages key stakeholders effectively to ensure market-leading outcomes.
- Excellent industry and supplier contacts.
- Ability to build productive relationships both internally and externally, establishing a good rapport and demonstrating sensitivity to the agenda and priorities of others, recognising the unique position of The Championships operating within a private members tennis Club.
- Actively collaborates with colleagues and promotes a climate in which information and new knowledge is openly shared.
- Takes a consultative approach to decision making and listens to others’ views and ideas but is not afraid to take a decision and lead from the front with integrity.
- Proactively offers ideas and solutions in the development of a creative vision & editorial brief whilst assessing the inclusivity & environmental impact of broadcast solutions.
- Can demonstrate in-depth understanding of the resource and staffing implications of editorial aspirations, ensuring alignment before projects commence.
- Anticipates potential problems, prioritising when required and considering risks and potential constraints.
- Able to balance creative and analytical thinking to find most suitable solutions and initiatives.
- Sustains and drives forward high levels of performance, remains calm and in control when under pressure or in difficult situations.
- A good understanding of Health and Safety considerations in a broadcast environment. A strong knowledge of CDM regulations is also desirable.
- Excellent communication skills, written and verbal, with professional IT skills including CAD design.
The All England Lawn Tennis Club (Championships) Limited (AELTC) organises and stages The Wimbledon Lawn Tennis Championships, widely regarded as the world’s premier tennis tournament, and are home to one of the world’s most prestigious tennis clubs.
Our business has grown in recent years and we expect that success to continue. We have plans to further improve our facilities and invest in our people in future years. Our success is important to us and we are guided by our key values of Heritage, Integrity, Respect and Excellence.
Wimbledon Broadcast Services (WBS) is the Host Broadcast production of The Championships. Broadcast sits within the wider Marketing & Commercial Department.
WBS services over 85 different rights holders around the world covering more than 200 territories & has a global audience of over 1.3 billion. WBS provides multi-camera coverage of all 18 Championships courts, with Centre & No.1 Court in UHD/HDR. 2,500 people work in the Broadcast Centre during The Championships.